Tasmania University Boat Club

TUBC 

The Tasmania University Boat Club (TUBC) was formed in 1923 with the express purpose of sending a crew to inter-varsity in 1924, which was held on the Yarra on 31 May 1924, where they came fourth out of five crews. In the following year Tasmania was triumphant in winning the race. The rowing club continued to send an eight every year to inter-varsity until 1930 when it was held in Perth and the cost was too prohibitive. The boat club didn’t win another inter-varsity race until 1966 when they surprised many people, and then again in 1977 and 1986, and most recently in 1994.

In 1932 the Tasmania University Union SRC approved a grant to the boat club for £130 for a boatshed. The original boatshed was located at the entrance to Marieville Esplanade Sandy Bay (about where the Derwent Sailing Squadron is now located). In 1965 the club moved to a new boathouse built on reclaimed land at Marine Esplanade New Town Bay, behind the rugby grounds. The club occupied that site until May 2013, when the TUBC boathouse along with the St Virgil’s, St Mary’s, and Guilford Young College boat shed, and the Buckingham Rowing Club boatshed, all co-located at the south western end of the bay were demolished to make way for the new New Town Bay Rowing Centre.

The centre, which was built with funding from the Federal government and with the assistance of the Hobart City Council, provides new boat bays for the clubs listed above and the Tasmanian Institute of Sport rowing program. In addition in the centre section of the building there is a gym and amenities for both men and women downstairs and a function area and bar upstairs.

The TUBC is affiliated with the Tasmania University Union and Rowing Tasmania.

TUBC-Logo
i-fb      

History

Committee

The current Leadership Group of TUBC and the coaching panel is listed below.

President: Mick Casey

Vice President: Alistair Chong 

Secretary: Sam Casey 

Treasurer: Kerrie-Lee Weston-McCarthy 

Committee:

Mark Stott
Carl Doedens 
Neil Stump (Patron) 
Tim McDermott

Club Captain: Sara Waitzer

Sports Council Delegate: Tim McDermott

Coaching 

Head Coach: Mark Stott 

 

Enquires

General club: Mick Casey 0448 033411 tasuniboatclub@gmail.com

Rowing Mark Stott 0427 654 899 -tasuniboatclub@gmail.com

The club prides itself on catering for rowers at all levels from beginners through to juniors (U19) and senior club rowers, masters (>27years) through to rowers who aspire to represent Australia.

The competitive season commences in early October and finishes with the national championships in March. Pre-season training, mostly off the water usually commences in May.
The club has access to a fleet of new and near new boats for competition, and some older boats for beginners. 

If you are interested in rowing at TUBC please contact either Mark Stott or Mick Casey (details above).